What is the Palazzo Medici Riccardi?

What is the Palazzo Medici Riccardi?

Palazzo Medici Riccardi. The palace’s Renaissance facade with its rusticated stone walls. The Palazzo Medici, also called the Palazzo Medici Riccardi after the later family that acquired and expanded it, is a Renaissance palace located in Florence, Italy. It is the seat of the Metropolitan City of Florence and a museum.

Who was the architect of Palazzo Medici?

History of Palazzo Medici Riccardi Cosimo de Medici (called the ‘Elder’), the first member of the family to wield power in Florence, had the palace built in about 1445. Originally Cosimo had Filippo Brunelleschi (the master architect, designer of the cupola) draw up a design for the building.

Who was Benozzo Gozzoli and what did he do?

Here, Benozzo Gozzoli, pupil of the famous Fra Angelico, created a beautiful series of frescoes depicting the Cavalcade of the Magi to Bethlehem.

What is the Medici Palace in Florence?

As the name implies, the palace found on the very central Via Cavour, belonged to the Medici family who started its construction in 1445, at the time when Cosimo de’ Medici, also known as Cosimo “Il Vecchio”, ruled the dynasty.

What is the function of the Medici Palace in Florence?

Not only private residence of the members of the family, among which Lorenzo the Magnificent, the palace performs its public function by welcoming important political figures such as Galeazzo Maria Sforza, whose portrait we find in the Magi Chapel by Benozzo Gozzoli (1459), depicted with members of the Medici family.

How did the Riccardi family change the palace of Pisa?

When the palace passed into the hands of the Riccardi family in 1659, the building underwent several modifications, including a large extension on the north side and Foggini’s grand staircase leading to the chapel. A corner of the chapel had to be knocked down in order to make room for the stairs, which created a corner projecting into the room.

What happened to the Riccardi family’s house in Florence?

The Riccardi family sell the building to the State, who transformed it into administrative offices, requiring major works of renovation. Purchased by the Province of Florence, in the early 20th century, a series of interventions were carried out to restore its original appearance.